Financially Planning For an Emergency Disaster
September is National Preparedness Month
One of the themes of National Preparedness Month in 2022 is the focus is on getting financially prepared for an emergency disaster. Ready.Gov highlights some ways that homeowners can get prepared at either no cost or a low cost. In addition to the resources listed on Ready.Gov, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers a plethora of resources that can be shipped directly to your home.
At SERVPRO of Rochester, we are able to work directly with your insurance company to ease the stress during emergency disasters. It’s important that homeowners make sure they are adequately covered for emergencies that the region is prone to. For example, if your home is in a flood zone, flood insurance should be a priority. Likewise, if your home is in an area where wildfires are prevalent, insurance for wildfires is a must. The Red Cross has an interactive map that shows common disasters across the United States by region and what you should be prepared for.
To get started, here are a few tips you should consider in order to get financially prepared for an emergency disaster:
- Gather financial, medical, personal, and household information and keep them in an accessible safe space.
- Keep small amounts of cash in your home for items such as food, gas, or other supplies in the event that you cannot get to an ATM. In addition, consider opening a savings account and saving up money for potential disasters.
- Keep on top of your homeowners or renters, health, and life insurance. Consider purchasing flood insurance from the national flood insurance program as well as reviewing your policy to make sure you’re adequately covered.
For more information, click on any of the links in this blog or contact us at (248) 608-2667.
Commercial Water Loss Causes
Warehouse Water Damage in Farmington Hills, MI Business
Besides a natural disaster or large-scale storm, there are other potential causes for a water damage at your business. It is true that commercial water damages are often the result of weather events such as heavy rains and storms, however, there are regular maintenance issues that could cause damage to company equipment, inventory, and other valuable assets. Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians are highly trained and knowledgeable in all of the possible causes for a water loss to occur in your commercial property.
Other Causes of Water Damage in Your Business:
- Sprinkler System Malfunction - Sprinkler systems are a must for businesses because it helps protect the building in fire emergencies, offering the first line of defense when smoke is detected. However, when the sprinkler system is outdated and showing signs of wear and tear, the sprinklers can malfunction and cause water damage to everything inside the building.
- Burst pipes– There are many reasons why pipes can burst and cause water damage. One potential reason could be an extremely cold day that can freeze the water in the pipes. Since water expands as it freezes, this expansion can crack and break the pipes that the water needs to flow through.
- Clogged sewer system– Another possible reason for a commercial water damage is toilets and sewer systems getting clogged. Toilets and sewer lines can get clogged very easily and when a sewer line is clogged, flooding can occur anytime someone flushes a toilet or pours water down a sink.
- Leaking roof– When the roof is not regularly checked and maintained, it can suffer damage from exposure to changing weather. Even if you are just experiencing a rainstorm, when your roof has a leak, it can become detrimental and damage the inside of your building.
If you have a water damage in your commercial property, call SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2887.
Kitchen Fire in Southfield, MI
Stove that caused the kitchen fire
This house fire in Southfield, MI was the result of a pan sitting on the hot stove with residual grease in it unattended. House fires like this cause a lot of smoke and a lot of soot which is an extensive cleaning process - so leave it to the professionals at SERVPRO of Rochester!
Which appliances caused the most fires in the last year?
- 14% of washing machines (1,723)
- 12% tumble dryers (1,456)
- 11% dishwashers (1,324)
- 9% cookers (1,080)
- 7% fridges / freezers (861)
- 5% central heating (606)
- 4% toasters / grills (495)
- 4% microwaves (427)
- 3% TVs (372)
- 2% washer dryers (225)
- 1% irons (92)
It is extremely important to practice fire safety, especially with regards to appliances in your home. For a list of fire damage tips please click here.
How to Prevent Damage During a Wind Storm
Fallen tree on a home in Metro Detroit due to a major wind storm
Even a wind storm can have disastrous effects on your property. That’s why it’s important to make a plan in advance to limit storm damage. Follow these tips so you know what to do before, during, and after a wind storm.
What To Do In Advance:
Wind damage comes from a variety of storms and each has its own ways to prepare. Be sure that everyone in your home or business knows what to do in case of the most likely storms for your area. If you operate a store, restaurant, or other business that deals with many members of the public at once, be sure your staff knows how to escort them to shelter.
- Stock up on emergency supplies. Be sure the first aid kit is stocked and the flashlights have working batteries. A generator can power a house and costs a few hundred dollars - which may be well worth your money when you are without it for an extended amount of time. Solar panels that can charge cell phones are available online for under $50 as well.
- Know how to turn off utilities or override electronics. Depending on any wind or flood damage, you may need to turn off the water or circuit box. If the power goes out, cars will be stuck inside a garage with an electric opener unless you know how to use the manual override.
- Give the roof a checkup. Be sure there aren’t any loose or missing shingles that could blow away during a storm or let in rain. It’s better to make repairs during good weather than to try to get a tarp over a hole in the roof during a thunderstorm.
- Check the perimeter. When you know a storm is on the way, do a quick check outside if there’s enough time. Put lawn furniture in the shed, pick up toys, put cars and bicycles in the garage, and fasten loose items, like patio umbrellas. Not only will these items blow away in a storm, but they can cause a great deal of damage in the process. A lawn chair can shatter a window, while a bike can put a huge dent in a car. Be sure to close any awnings too; even a mild wind storm can tear fabric from the frame.
- Back up your computers frequently. If your electronics suffer flood damage or any kind of storm damage, you’ll be glad you took the time to back up your files. Cloud backup services are available for free from Dropbox, Google, and other providers for a set amount of data and extra amounts of storage can be purchased for a nominal fee. The advantage of a cloud backup service is that you can access them from anywhere; if your home or business is damaged, you can use a computer or smart device anywhere that has internet access.
- Be sure you have a weather app on your smartphone and enable severe weather alerts. You won’t be near a TV or computer for every storm, so you need a way to check on the severity of storms and know when to take cover.
We do experience heavy thunderstorms in Michigan with very strong winds. so make sure you take the time to go over these precautionary steps. If you do suffer damage to your home or business call at SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2667
Large Water Loss at a Retail Store in Metro Detroit
Large warehouse being dried out in Detroit, MI
This water loss was caused by a roof leak in the main warehouse of a chain retailer in Detroit, MI following a heavy rainstorm. Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians responded quickly to save any further merchandise from being affected as well as the warehouse structure.
No Job Is Too Large
The SERVPRO Commercial Large Loss Division is composed of our best of the best in restoration. Our elite large-loss specialists are pre-qualified and strategically positioned throughout the United States to handle any size disaster. Every large loss is supervised by a commercial operations manager to help ensure seamless communication and timely mitigation.
SERVPRO also has a Disaster Recovery Team which can help in the event of hurricanes, tornadoes, flash flooding, and any other national disaster.
If your business suffers a major loss, call (248) 608-2667
Commercial Restoration and Cleaning Services
When this school cafeteria in Southfield had a water damage during a heavy storm, SERVPRO of Rochester was there within an hour to clean up the mess!
When this Southfield school cafeteria flooded, We were onsite within an hour to inspect the damage and to begin the water extraction process. In less than four days we had the cafeteria dry. We use advanced inspection and monitoring equipment to determine if the structure is dry.
If water damage is not handled quickly and properly, it can cause severe damage to the structure not to mention the potentially harmful health effects of mold. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
When your business operations are interrupted by a water damage, you need professional help to get your property back to business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. SERVPRO of Rochester provides professional cleaning or emergency restoration services to get your business running smoothly again. We have the training, equipment, and resources to handle any size disaster. We service the following types of commercial facilities:
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
It May Not Look Like Much, But The Clean-Up May Be Way Over Your Head
Water Damage in the storage room of a Commercial Building
A mop and common household cleaning products may not be enough for black water intrusions. SERVPRO of Rochester technicians are trained to safely clean and restore your customer's home, utilizing the following procedures:
-Identify the Source/Type of Water
-Measure Temperature and Humidity for Drying Analysis
-Survey the Extent of Damage and Inspect the Premises
-Perform Emergency Water Extraction
-Move and Block Furniture
-Provide Floor Service
-Inspect Carpet pad/Carpet and Provide Service
-Apply Necessary Treatments (Disinfectants/Deodorization)
-Utilize Drying Equipment and Monitor Drying
-Dispose of Debris
Emergency Mitigation means that under normal circumstances, SERVPRO technicians are on-site within four hours to begin drying and decontaminating your customer's home and restorable contents.
Abiding by OSHA guidelines and all applicable health regulations, SERVPRO technicians remove moisture, sewage, and contaminants, disinfecting and deodorizing as they safely clean your customer's home and restorable belongings.
We make it "Like it never even happened."
The Benefits of Using an Infrared Camera to Detect Water Damages
Thermal camera image of a shower ceiling and wall
Finding water damage can sometimes be challenging. Water often travels the path of least resistance, which means water coming in from a roof leak might enter your ceiling and travel to the lowest point often pooling or leaking down into a light fixture in the middle of the room.
Using an Infrared camera to identify the source of the water damage can help SERVPRO of Rochester restore your home. Thermal imaging can detect damp spots on floors, ceilings, and walls. Using the Infrared camera has helped us determine hidden water damage in a ceiling. The rainbow-colored images can help our technicians spot moisture in the Our technicians use the IR camera to detect the moisture before physical damage or mold is evident. Using moisture meters along with the IR camera can confirm the presence of water.
If you have experienced water damage due to a pipe leak or other water damage to your home, call SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2667
Sewage Backup Clean Up
Sewage Back up causes damage to the basement after Storm rips through Metro Detroit
If disaster strikes causing damage to your home, call the Professionals at SERVPRO® of Rochester to Help you clean up the mess. We are ready to help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Whatever the storm, we will be there to help. Whether it's a summer storm, a winter storm, or something in between, we are faster to any size disaster that you may experience when unpredictable weather damages the Metro Detroit area. Rochester homeowners know that the weather can range from polar vortexes to tornadoes and the potential for damage can be extreme.
Our Experienced Team will be there to dry out and clean up your home or business. As a customer, you have the right to choose who helps you with your water damage clean-up.
Trust SERVPRO® of Rochester (248) 608-2667
Ready to Rebuild After a Storm?
Basement is destroyed by a broken pipe during a winter storm
Michigan can have some pretty crazy weather! No matter if it’s a summer storm or a winter storm, they can cause damage to many homes in the Metro Detroit area. SERVPRO technicians were called out to water damage only to find the entire home had water damage and was frozen. The furnace failed, causing the pipes to freeze and break. Most ceilings, walls, and flooring needed to be removed entirely after the water damage. The Homeowners are now ready to rebuild after the storm, they are in the process of adding drywall, flooring, cabinets, and fixtures.
When your business is damaged by water damage, we will be there fast with the help you need.
Step 1 - Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will guide you through the crisis and may ask several questions to help us better understand the equipment and resources.
Step 2 - Inspection and Water Damage Assessment
We determine the scope of your water damage at this stage. We inspect and test to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture has traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration.
Step 3 - Water Removal / Water Extraction
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes most of the water. We use powerful pumps and vacuum units to quickly remove hundreds or thousands of gallons from your property, which helps prevent secondary water damage and mold growth.
Step 4 - Drying and Dehumidification
We use specialized equipment to remove the remaining water that is harder to access. Our Professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers needed to dry your home or business.
Step 5 - Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean all of the restorable items and structures damaged by the water. We are adept at cleaning contents using a number of techniques. Our professionals are trained to provide sanitizing treatments and remove odors and deodorize your property.
Step 6 - Restoration
Restoration is the process of restoring your home or business to its pre-water damage condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Call Us Today – (248) 608-2667