Before and after photos of a finished basement after technicians cleaned up.
Spring is right around the corner here in Michigan and for most that means spring cleaning! Maybe you finally cleaned out the catch all closet and need it scrubbed down floor to ceiling? Or you hauled all that old unused furniture to the curb and the carpet underneath was disgusting? Well, the typical homeowner will probably cover the basics with dusting, mopping, vacuuming, throwing things away here and there, making the infamous ‘donate’ pile and wiping down surfaces and furniture. However, sometimes your spring-cleaning needs go a little deeper than that.
Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians can do the dirty work for you no matter how bad the situation. Here are just a few ways we can help you:
- We have specially formulated SERVPRO chemicals
- We use green products safe for pets
- HEPA vacuuming
- Carpet Deodorization and cleaning
- Ozone Machine for strong odors
- Using reach poles to clean tall ceilings
- Washing walls/moldings/baseboard etc.
- Floor cleaning
- Trash out/de-cluttering services
Get a head start on your spring cleaning today and call us at (248) 608-2667
Heavy rainfall in West Bloomfield caused damage in a finished basement. Here are before and after photos of the clean up
As any Michigander knows, spring time means heavy rainfall for us. The April showers may bring May flowers and nice weather; however, it can also flood basements for a lot of homeowners. Most homeowners who have experienced or are prone to flooding in their basement may take some cautionary steps like waterproofing, gutter maintenance, proper landscaping, inspecting and repairing foundation cracks, sump pump maintenance, and even installing window well covers, however, heavy rainfall can cause your basement to flood despite all of it.
Basements can flood at any time, but primarily after winter moving into spring, when we have a lot of rain combined with the ground thawing. Flooding can occur by seepage or flow through the walls or foundation floor, from surface water sources, or by a sanitary or storm sewer backup.
Most homeowner’s reaction when their basement floods is to panic and start trying to clean it up themselves, granted if it’s a tiny bit in a small area you may be able to, but typically the problem is too large for you to handle. That is where our water certified SERVPRO of Rochester technicians come in. We are a 24-hour Emergency Service that can effectively work with you and your insurance company to extract the water, dry out the structure, demo any damaged materials such as wet walls and flooring, as well as assess and potentially restore any contents you may have in your basement.
Call us at (248) 608-2667
How to Get Rid of a Bad Smell in Your Car
A bad odor in your car can become extremely bothersome because more than likely you drive your car every single day. There are endless causes for a bad smell in your car, however, when getting rid of the odor there are less possibilities.
Common suggestions for getting rid of an odor in your car are to vacuum the upholstery, sprinkling baking soda on the are where the smell seems to be coming from, leaving a chunk of charcoal in there for a few days, or using a natural deodorizer. If none of those take care of the odor, that is when you need to call in a professional cleaning company like us and let our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians take care of your vehicle.
We use specific machinery and chemicals to safely and effectively remove odors after identifying the source. We have many methods of deodorizing a space including ozone machines, chemical solvents, and even as far as professional upholstery and carpet cleaning.
If you have an odor in your home, business, or vehicle call us at (248) 608-2667
How to Handle a Roof Leak?
After a storm, a roof leak caused damage to ceiling and belongings inside this Waterford Michigan home.
During the rainy season in Michigan two of the worst words a home or business owner can hear are ‘roof leak.’ With spring fast approaching there a few tips we would like to share with you about identifying the source area in the beginning, all the way to the leak potentially becoming an emergency.
First things first, here are a few of the many places water typically comes through your roof:
- Worn, broken or missing shingles
- Where nails have worked loose
- Corroded or poorly sealed roof flashing around vents, skylights or chimneys
- Along the intersections of roof planes
Along with being a major inconvenience, a roof leak can cause serious problems for business and homeowners. They can ruin insulation, become a home for black mold to spread, damage interior ceilings and walls, rot the wooden framing, and above all – ruin your belongings.
Here are a few things to check up on that will cause your roof to leak:
- The age of your roof
- Brick chimneys
- Missing shingles
- Vent Boot
- Complex roof architecture
- Clogged gutters
A roof leak during a storm can become a major emergency, especially in a rainy Michigan spring. However, after the storm is a whole other ballgame and that is where we, SERVPRO of Rochester, come in. If water has affected the contents of your home due to a leaky roof, we can work with you and your insurance company to clean up the mess as well assess and potentially restore your contents as quickly as possible.
Call us at (248) 608-2667
Drying carpet in a commercial building
The past few decades has seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow SERVPRO of Rochester professionals to restore a property back to preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
Moisture Detection and Measurement Equipment:
Scientific drying principles rely upon specialized equipment to detect, measure, and monitor a property’s moisture levels. Recent advances, like infrared cameras, can help us detect water through a wall, ceiling, or floor.
An infrared camera may be used to identify water location for thorough water removal.
Sensitive moisture detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation
Water Extraction Equipment:
Powerful extraction equipment speeds the drying process by removing the bulk of the water from your home or business.
Submersible and gas-powered pumps for continuous pumping of high-level water.
Truck-mounted and portable extraction units perform efficient water removal.
Industrial strength air movers and dehumidifiers are needed to remove the remaining moisture from ceiling, walls, and floors of your home or business. Proper drying helps to prevent swelling and warping of floors, walls, and furniture.
High-speed air movers causes moisture to evaporate at a faster pace
Industrial grade dehumidifiers pull the water vapor from the air.
Odor Removal and Deodorization:
Water and fire damage often causes powerful odors. The machines we use remove airborne contaminants and control the air quality during the restoration and cleanup process.
Thermal foggers and deodorization agents
Sanitizing Agents, Germicides, and Anti-Microbial Treatments:
The use of OSHA-approved cleaning agents may be needed to clean and remove odors and/or contaminants on your property.
Deodorization products control odors from excessive moisture.
Disinfection products stop the growth of bacteria, fungi, mildew, and other harmful microorganisms.
We have the technology available to help you in the event of a disaster, call us today!
Friends Don't Let Friends Hoard
Our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians handle many complicated situations - one of which includes hoarding. Water, fire, and mold damages are much more complicated in a hoarder home - more obstacles, more damaged belongings, and more sensitive situations with homeowners.
Here are a list of risk factors when it comes to hoarding:
Homelessness can result if the local Department of Public Health must order the person out of or condemn the dwelling or if the landlord demonstrates in court that the level or type of hoarding seriously violates the lease. Shelters have also been known to bar individuals whose hoarding puts other shelter guests at risk.
Health problems include falls or accidents and inability of emergency personnel to enter or remove an ill person. Clutter, garbage, animal or human feces and resulting mold or infestation can also cause respiratory and other health problems. Lack of sanitation can be particularly unsafe for immune compromised individuals. Ammonia levels from accumulations of urine and feces can easily exceed maximum occupational exposure limits, and can be harmful to persons with cardiac or respiratory dysfunction.
Blocked exits or heating vents can also pose a fire hazard and occasionally the nature or extent of hoarded items creates structural dangers due to excess weight. Hoarding of dangerous or flammable items poses great health and safety risks.
Improper care or neglect of animals can put people at risk of committing felony-level crimes, resulting in forfeiture of animals, fines, and imprisonment.
For more information on these risks click here.
How to Prepare for a Windstorm
Tree fell on home during storm.
Even a wind storm can have disastrous effects on your property. That’s why it’s important to make a plan in advance to limit storm damage. Follow these tips so you know what to do before, during, and after a wind storm.
What To Do In Advance:
Wind damage comes from a variety of storms and each has its own ways to prepare. Be sure that everyone in your home or business knows what to do in case of the most likely storms for your area. If you operate a store, restaurant, or other business that deals with many members of the public at once, be sure your staff knows how to escort them to shelter.
- Stock up on emergency supplies.Be sure the first aid kit is stocked and the flashlights have working batteries. A generator can power a house and costs a few hundred dollars - which may be well worth your money when you are without it for an extended amount of time. Solar panels that can charge cell phones are available online for under $50 as well.
- Know how to turn off utilities or override electronics. Depending on any wind or flood damage, you may need to turn off the water or circuit box. If the power goes out, cars will be stuck inside a garage with an electric opener unless you know how to use the manual override.
- Give the roof a checkup. Be sure there aren’t any loose or missing shingles that could blow away during a storm or let in rain. It’s better to make repairs during good weather than to try to get a tarp over a hole in the roof during a thunderstorm.
- Check the perimeter. When you know a storm is on the way, do a quick check outside if there’s enough time. Put lawn furniture in the shed, pick up toys, put cars and bicycles in the garage, and fasten loose items, like patio umbrellas. Not only will these items blow away in a storm, but they can cause a great deal of damage in the process. A lawn chair can shatter a window, while a bike can put a huge dent in a car. Be sure to close any awnings too; even a mild wind storm can tear fabric from the frame.
- Back up your computers frequently. If your electronics suffer flood damage or any kind of storm damage, you’ll be glad you took the time to back up your files. Cloud backup services are available for free from Dropbox, Google, and other providers for a set amount of data and extra amounts of storage can be purchased for a nominal fee. The advantage of a cloud backup service is that you can access them from anywhere; if your home or business is damaged, you can use a computer or smart device anywhere that has internet access.
- Be sure you have a weather app on your smartphone and enable severe weather alerts. You won’t be near a TV or computer for every storm, so you need a way to check on the severity of storms and know when to take cover.
We do experience heavy thunderstorms in Michigan with very strong winds. so make sure you take the time to go over these precautionary steps. If you do suffer damage to your home or business call at SERVPRO or Rochester at (248) 608-2667
7 Signs You May Have Mold in Your Home
Mold growth in basement.
When is it Time to Call in the Professionals?
Since mold isn't always visible or easy to spot, it's important to know what to look out for so you can take care of any issues if you have some — you don't want your health to suffer just because your house looks clean enough. Although toxic mold can bring on the most serious health problems, all mold and mildew can cause health issues — especially for those who suffer from allergies."
1. There's a smell.
- One of the first signs will be a musty smell. If you smell mold, it is most likely there and that is a cause to take action.
2. You have a chronic cough.
- Toxic black mold can cause respiratory-related health problems. This can lead to a chronic cough, shortness of breath or sinus congestion.
3. You have skin rashes.
- Toxic mold can cause itchy and uncomfortable rashes, as many people are actually allergic to mold.
4. You are having trouble focusing.
- The presence of toxic mold can affect the brain. This can lead to problems concentrating and even memory loss.
5. You feel fatigued.
- Toxic mold can cause chronic fatigue and weakness. This fatigue is most likely to kick in on humid days and you may feel relief around an air conditioner or fresh air.
6. Your walls are discolored.
- It can be hard to determine between other causes of discoloration and potential toxic mold, but SERVPRO of Rochester professionals can come out and take a look to determine your issue and the best course of action.
7. You see staining.
- Mold is not always obvious and can sometimes look like a typical stain. This is because when mold rubs off on a surface it can leave just spots or patches. Different molds have different growth patterns and some show up more than others. If you are noticing spots, call us to come check it out.
Hoarding Plus a Water Damage? Yikes!
This Farmington Hills, MI home experience flooding in their basement with contaminated water, however, this was not your typical flood. The homeowners happened to be hoarders and their basement was filled to the ceiling - there was barely any space to walk and most areas were not accessible.
Before going into the process of mitigating this loss, let's talk a little bit about what hoarding is.
Hoarding is the persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of their actual value. The behavior usually has deleterious effects—emotional, physical, social, financial, and even legal—for a hoarder and family members.
For those who hoard, the quantity of their collected items sets them apart from other people. Commonly hoarded items may be newspapers, magazines, paper and plastic bags, cardboard boxes, photographs, household supplies, food, and clothing.
In a situation like this our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians had to begin by throwing away all the contaminated items due to the quality of the water. It was not until everything was 'trashed out' that we were actually able to mitigate the damage to the structure.
To learn more about hoarding visit: https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics
CALL SERVPRO AT (248) 608-2667
The Importance of Moisture Meters
When your home or business floods our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians have the proper tools to make sure your space is dry and returned to a preloss condition as quickly as possible.
Shown in the picture is a very important tool we use called a moisture meter - this is how we detect where moisture is (what is wet) and how close we are to having it completely dry during our monitor appointments.
This particular meter a non-destructive overall building inspection moisture meter which has the perfect features for our industry. It has many unique features that make moisture measurement and evaluation fast, precise and versatile.
- Wide range of readings for wood from 5% to 30%.
- Deep signal penetration to over 1" into the materials being tested without the need to damage the surface. Signal penetration depends on material being tested and meter setting.
- Three ranges of sensitivity: Wood & Timber / Drywall & Roofing / Plaster & Brick – making it ideal for testing moisture conditions in various building materials.
- Detects moisture through paint, wall coatings, drywall, ceramic tiles, floor coverings, wood, roof coverings and ceiling tiles.
- High moisture audio warning tone.
You can trust that SERVPRO of Rochester will dry out your space with the proper drying equipment.
Have Water or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (248) 608-2667