Recent Storm Damage Posts
Rainfall Causes Historic Flooding in Metro Detroit
Historic Flooding in Metro Detroit
The SERVPRO of Rochester team work hard to clean up basements after a large amount of rain fell in the Oakland and Wayne County area. Unfortunately, we cannot control the rains. The overwhelmed sewers and saturated ground sent contaminated water into basements, crawl spaces, and foundations. Having a Professional assessment from a reputable flood recovery company is always recommended.
Calling SERVPRO of Rochester after a flood damage will increase the chances of a safe cleanup. The SERVPRO crews are ready to remove the contaminated water and dry out your home. If the water is left standing in your home, you could increase the risk for Mold. It can take as little as 48 -72 hours for mold to grow and be visible.
Whether you are filing an insurance claim, or you are paying directly out of pocket, SERVPRO of Rochester can walk you through the job process and provide an estimate with industry standard pricing for all the work that needs to be performed to clean up the water.
Call us at (248) 608-2667 we are here to help!
The Importance of Moisture Meters
Meter reading of a wet surface
When your home or business floods our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians have the proper tools to make sure your space is dry and returned to a preloss condition as quickly as possible.
Shown in the picture is a very important tool we use called a moisture meter - this is how we detect where moisture is (what is wet) and how close we are to having it completely dry during our monitor appointments.
This particular meter a non-destructive overall building inspection moisture meter which has the perfect features for our industry. It has many unique features that make moisture measurement and evaluation fast, precise and versatile.
- Wide range of readings for wood from 5% to 30%.
- Deep signal penetration to over 1" into the materials being tested without the need to damage the surface. Signal penetration depends on the material being tested and meter setting.
- Three ranges of sensitivity: Wood & Timber / Drywall & Roofing / Plaster & Brick – making it ideal for testing moisture conditions in various building materials.
- Detects moisture through paint, wall coatings, drywall, ceramic tiles, floor coverings, wood, roof coverings, and ceiling tiles.
- High moisture audio warning tone.
You can trust that SERVPRO of Rochester will dry out your space with the proper drying equipment.
Roof Tarp Needed After Wind Storm in Farmington Hills
Roof tarp on a home in Farmington Hills
From smashed cars to knocked over trees to downed power lines, the recent windstorm wreaked havoc on Michigan. Winds nearing 70 mph in some areas caused widespread damage across Michigan, leaving more than 857,000 homes and businesses without power. Our technicians at SERVPRO of Rochester were called out to board up and tarp this roof in Farmington Hills, MI after a large tree uprooted and tore down the upper half of their home due to the high winds. We arrived immediately to make this customers home livable and safe until tree removal services and construction were underway.
A windstorm can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods.
To give you some perspective on just how large this windstorm was; it left 1 million without power and the air pressure was that of a category 2 hurricane. During a windstorm make sure that your home, your business, and your family are safe and prepared for the worst. ALWAYS keep SERVPRO of Rochester's phone number handy for situations like these.
Call a Professional When You Have a Sump Pump Failure
Sump pump fails in basement during storm
When a homeowner in Rochester Hills called SERVPRO of Rochester to remove the water in their basement, many items were wet and needed to be disposed of. SERVPRO of Rochester was able to sanitize and dry out the basement.
Tips to Avoid Water Damage
No power: If the power goes out during a storm, your sump pump won’t be able to drain the water
Wrong size: If your sump pump is too small for your home’s size, it might mean that its too big of a job for it to handle. On the flip side, running too large of a sump pump can shorten its lifespan.
Old age: Just like any appliance, the years can reduce the efficiency and working order of your sump pump. The average lifespan of a sump pump is roughly 10 years. If yours is creeping up in age, consider replacing it with a more current model.
Clogged pipe: Debris can enter your discharge pipe and create a backup. With nowhere for water to flow, your sump pump will come to a stop.
Lack of maintenance: Your home and the appliances that make it run require regular maintenance. Clean your sump pump three to four times a year to avoid blockages in your discharge line, vents, and floats.
Switch issues: When the sump pump shifts in the basin, the float that administers the switch can cause it to become jammed.
Product or installation problem: In addition to product defects, which are out of your control, improper installation can also cause sump pump failure.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
Call Us Today (248) 608-2667
Flooding From Storms Causes Damage to Homes and Businesses
Sewage Back up causes damage to basement after Storm rips through Metro Detroit
If disaster strikes causing damage to your home, call the Professionals at SERVPRO® of Rochester to Help you clean up the mess. We are ready to help you make it "Like it never even happened."
Whatever the storm, we will be there to help. Whether its a summer storm, a winter storm, or something in between, we are faster to any size disaster that you may experience when unpredictable weather damages the Metro Detroit area. Rochester homeowners know that the weather can range from polar vortexes to tornadoes and the potential for damage can be extreme.
Our Experienced Team will be there to dry out and clean up your home or business. As a customer you have the right to choose who helps you with your water damage clean up.
Trust SERVPRO® of Rochester (248) 608-2667
Emergency Do’s and Don’ts
Storm in Lake Orion causes damage to finished basement.
As Michigan is currently in a rainy season, here are some emergency water damage tips to help assist you in taking proper action until our SERVPRO of Rochester technicians arrive.
Emergency Water Damage Tips:
- Shut off the water source if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the water source.
- Turn off circuit breakers for we areas of the home or building if you have safe access to the power distribution panel.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting or flooring.
- Move any artwork, computers, documents, and other items with sentimental value to a dry place.
- Don’t enter effected areas if electrical outlets, switches, circuit breakers, or electrical equipment are exposed to water. ALWAYS avoid electrical shock hazards.
- Don’t use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water, this could cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
If you experience a water damage call SERVPRO of Rochester at (248) 608-2667
How to Prepare for a Windstorm
Tree fell on home during storm.
Even a wind storm can have disastrous effects on your property. That’s why it’s important to make a plan in advance to limit storm damage. Follow these tips so you know what to do before, during, and after a wind storm.
What To Do In Advance:
Wind damage comes from a variety of storms and each has its own ways to prepare. Be sure that everyone in your home or business knows what to do in case of the most likely storms for your area. If you operate a store, restaurant, or other business that deals with many members of the public at once, be sure your staff knows how to escort them to shelter.
- Stock up on emergency supplies.Be sure the first aid kit is stocked and the flashlights have working batteries. A generator can power a house and costs a few hundred dollars - which may be well worth your money when you are without it for an extended amount of time. Solar panels that can charge cell phones are available online for under $50 as well.
- Know how to turn off utilities or override electronics. Depending on any wind or flood damage, you may need to turn off the water or circuit box. If the power goes out, cars will be stuck inside a garage with an electric opener unless you know how to use the manual override.
- Give the roof a checkup. Be sure there aren’t any loose or missing shingles that could blow away during a storm or let in rain. It’s better to make repairs during good weather than to try to get a tarp over a hole in the roof during a thunderstorm.
- Check the perimeter. When you know a storm is on the way, do a quick check outside if there’s enough time. Put lawn furniture in the shed, pick up toys, put cars and bicycles in the garage, and fasten loose items, like patio umbrellas. Not only will these items blow away in a storm, but they can cause a great deal of damage in the process. A lawn chair can shatter a window, while a bike can put a huge dent in a car. Be sure to close any awnings too; even a mild wind storm can tear fabric from the frame.
- Back up your computers frequently. If your electronics suffer flood damage or any kind of storm damage, you’ll be glad you took the time to back up your files. Cloud backup services are available for free from Dropbox, Google, and other providers for a set amount of data and extra amounts of storage can be purchased for a nominal fee. The advantage of a cloud backup service is that you can access them from anywhere; if your home or business is damaged, you can use a computer or smart device anywhere that has internet access.
- Be sure you have a weather app on your smartphone and enable severe weather alerts. You won’t be near a TV or computer for every storm, so you need a way to check on the severity of storms and know when to take cover.
We do experience heavy thunderstorms in Michigan with very strong winds. so make sure you take the time to go over these precautionary steps. If you do suffer damage to your home or business call at SERVPRO or Rochester at (248) 608-2667
Hurricane Irma Cleanup
SERVPRO of Rochester Cleanup - Hurricane Irma
Tips for Being Prepared for a Flood:
Before the Flood:
- Have a qualified professional elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Install "check valves" in sewer traps to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home or business.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to help avoid seepage.
During the Flood:
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water.
- Do not walk through moving water. Even six inches of moving water can make you fall.
After the Flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn if the community's water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged.
- Stay out of any building if it is surrounded by floodwaters.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.